Sunday, June 25, 2006

What I've Learned as a Rookie

"You run to no one's beat but your own. No one is making you run. No one else cares whether you do it or not. The responsibility for running is yours entirely, and the same can be said for the rewards in doing it. They are all yours, too!" from your training log

On Saturday, I watched a new Abe's Army recruit complete her very first race. After five weeks in Abe's Army, she felt confident enough to run a 5K. To watch her come up over the hill in Center Park and cross the finish line certainly brought a smile to my face, but the look in her eyes at what she had just accomplished is simply amazing. The power of setting a goal for yourself and then achieving that goal is something that makes you so much more ready to set new goals and to continue the journey. As an Abe's Army leader, and a rookie yet myself, I could definitely put myself in her shoes. The rewards of crossing that finish line are hers alone and deservingly so. She put in the miles; she got herself to the starting line and took that first step. But leaders feel a little rewarded too, as they see one of their recruits accomplish such a huge goal! I know her leaders were thrilled that she had the courage to tackle the 5K! There are a lot of success stories, big and small, in the Army and the leaders bust at the seams sometimes to tell the stories!

And that's why the quote in our training log has it all wrong. While it's true that no one is making you run, there are a lot of people who are encouraging you to run, run/walk, or walk and do not want to see you give up. The responsibility is yours to put in the mileage, but it's our responsibility to make sure you have any available tools and resources to help you become successful. And WE DO CARE, most importantly. That's why we are leaders. Each of your leaders at one point or another was a beginner just like you. Had it not been for leaders within Abe's Army or other people to encourage us every step of the way, even when it got so difficult we wanted to quit, we wouldn’t be where we are today.

I ran a 10K a couple of weeks ago and it was a difficult experience for me. I let the heat, my emotions, unrealistic expectations, and a negative attitude get in the way of doing my best that day and I was ready to just turn in my shoes. After all, this is for me only, and if no one cares, it doesn't matter, right?

But last Saturday, I realized it does matter. A more experienced runner, one of our current Abe's Army leaders, remembered how bad I felt after my last race and went out of his way to ask me if this race was better than the last. He remembered how down I was at the last race. He knew I wouldn't quit, but knew I needed encouragement. He didn’t have to go out of his way, but he did. He knew that running is something we are doing, not just to get through a race, but something we want to be enjoying for many years to come. The experiences, good and bad, are what makes running so addictive for many of us. And Saturday’s race was a great experience. I saw the many friends I’ve met over the last year finish the race, and laughed with them over all the little things that make running the hardest thing we enjoy. Oh, and pizza after a race? THAT’s what it’s all about, the post race party!

Whether it’s a pothole that gets in your way, or lack of sleep, or negative thoughts that threaten to sap your strength, know that there are runners all around you who care about your success as a runner. We can’t put in the miles for you, but we can help make the experiences more enjoyable. After all, we’ve all been in your shoes before and we’ll be beside you every step of the way.

You’re in the Army Now!

Mary Rogers



No comments: