Thursday, June 29, 2006

I also feel fat!

I thought I would share some of the conversation I had with one of our Dirty Dozen recruits as we were running Tuesday night.

For those of you going through your first running "experience" this summer, well, those of us who have been running for a while have many of the same "problems" as you. You might look at one of the leaders and think "gee, they seem like Olympic athletes." Well, I say "baloney!" We are only runners...just like you.

Motivation is always an issue. It's easy to sit on the couch. It's easy to pass up a run or workout and eat dinner instead. It's tough to get out of bed at 5:00 a.m. and go for a run before work. It's easy to say "I'll just workout that much harder tomorrow." I have those thoughts ALL THE TIME and I have been running seriously for 12 years. That's just life folks. Part of your brain always tells you to take the easy way out

But I can honestly say that there is not a single time that I have gone for a run and felt worse after I ran than before. That even inlcludes when I ran the Chicago Marathon, cramped up at mile 16, threw up at mile 20, and basically walked the last 10 miles. I felt so bad physically that I did not even want a beer after I finished (that says a lot). But mentally I felt great because, no matter that I fell apart during the race, I FINISHED a marathon!

Yep, all of us have the same problems getting out the door to run. But that's why I believe in the group. When you know someone is counting on you to show up for a run, you are much more likely to show up.

So, stay with us and take comfort that all runners have the same feelings.

And, oh yeah, I feel fat all the time, just like tonight because I ate way too many jelly beans after dinner!

4 comments:

Barry House said...

Those of us who really ARE fat feel that way too! But we keep going out the door to run and we keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Linda said...

This is about putting your head and your feet together and getting them to do the same thing! It's not easy to "be fat" and run but the alternative is not very pretty. When I'm out there I keep thinking about how far ahead I am that I am up and moving. Upright counts!

Anonymous said...

That's why I love my husband! He's not afraid to admit he has the same body image afflictions as us gals! It's great to have someone to comiserate with and then go ahead a eat a whole bag of jelly beans with anywa

Anonymous said...

Just wondered if this was happening to anyone else. I have gained weight instead of losing! I'm following the training log and I'm not eating any more than I did before. I'm not overly concerned because I know my endurance is increasing every week and I feel a little more toned, but basically no drastic difference in my size! I have a scale at home that gives body percentage fat and it appears I've lost 1 - 2 % body fat so I feel good about that. I'm glad I'm doing the Abe's Army because my goal is to be healthy and have a healthy heart and I'm not overweight now. However, increasing my walking and jogging to 10 miles a week, plus some strength training, you'd think I'd lose a little instead of gain!!