Tuesday, June 06, 2006

What I've Learned As A Rookie

As new runners, it's typical to show up to training runs and races with expectations. We set time goals for ourselves and we're determined to keep up with the entire group. We may even insist that we're going to run the entire time, not walk. Whether we meet these expectations often determines our attitude at the end of the run. I know this feeling all too well. I ran a 10K last Saturday and went into the race expecting that I would finish under an hour, After all, I've been running now for a year, and have completed a dozen races or so, including two half-marathons. I knew it would be close based on the training that I've done, but I was hoping the adrenaline would be the extra kick I needed to meet my goal. Well, I missed my goal by over five minutes and I had to stop to walk several times. I was upset and embarrassed by my efforts because I wanted to keep up with everyone else and prove I could be just as strong. Later, as I reflected on the race and what I've accomplished over the last year, I realized I had nothing to be ashamed of. My time was seven minutes faster than Abe's Amble from last August. It was just one of those days in which I didn't get my shoes tied quite right. It was a hot day, a new course, and I let my emotions control the experience instead of the other way around.

One of the best ways to avoid letting your expectations determine how you feel after a training run or a race, is to focus on those very experiences. When I ran the Indy 500 Half-Marathon - it was an awesome to hear the bands and cheerleaders along the route and to run on the Indianapolis 500 track knowing that in just a few weeks cars racing more than 200 mph would run on the very same pavement in which I was on. To watch a huge American flag unfurling over a starting line that stretched for more than a half a mile with 35,000 other runners, and knowing that the medals we all received were exactly the same, regardless of our finishing time is an experience all in itself. No one will remember my finishing time, but those of us who shared in the experience get goose bumps just remembering how much fun it was to be there and that is what motivates us to keep running. At the end of the Abe's Amble race last year, one of the neatest experiences I remember is hearing my name and hometown called out over the loudspeaker as I approached the finish line. To kick your run into high gear and listen to the crowd cheering you in, even though it was a tough first 10K, is something I remember well. The hugs, smiles, and high-fives of our group, runners just like me who had trained alongside of me every step of the way is worth so much more than a finishing time.

Setting goals is important and every emotion during a run or race is valid – but to let those factors control your experience will lead to frustration – and frustrated runners give up. As a rookie – this is a lesson I still am learning. When you start feeling frustrated – talk to your group leaders. Chances are they’ve been in your shoes before. Let the power of the group be the motivating factor you need to get through the tough runs.

But I do know that each race and training run is different – some days you feel good and you get your shoes tied right the first time, other days are frustrating and no matter how many times you tie your shoes, they’re just not right. Of course, it’s about more than tying your shoes. You’ve trained and trained and trained, and it just might not be a good day today. But remember why you run in the first place. It’s not about the finishing time, it’s not about the other competition, and it’s not about the medal. It’s that feeling you get when you hear your own footsteps whisper to you of your strength, determination, and guts, and what it took to get you where you are. It’s your run and your run only.

"Our running shoes are really great erasers. Every step erases a memory of a past failure. Every mile brings us closer to a clean slate. Each foot strike rubs away a word, a look, or an event, which led us to believe that success was beyond our grasp.” John Bingham

You’re In the Army Now!
Mary Rogers

2 comments:

Anne B said...

Awesome post, Mary. You have such a gift for telling the story. You're right --- the memories and experiences we take from each race are so special, more so than any finishing time.

Tim said...

As I have said many times...we have good days and we have bad days. What I know, though, from my experiences is that good days are more likely to happen when the humidity and the temps are lower! Humidity is the enemy...which makes us all that much stronger when we train through it all summer long for the Amble.

Keep it up folks!