Sunday, June 11, 2006

What I've Learned As A Rookie - From Florida!

I tried something new yesterday – I ran on the beach. Sure, we all think that running on the beach would be the most inspiring experience. The waves lap at your feet, the shells crunch under your feet, pelicans fly overhead, and the sun beams down toasting you to the color of perfectly toasted marshmallows. The palm trees barely sway in the early morning wind and the smell of salt and sand seems so pure. How could this experience be anything but perfect? But I learned, that while the setting was ideal, the experience was a little tougher than imagined. Running on the sand required different muscles and a different mindset. As you run on the sand, the ground shifts ever so slightly, but just noticeable enough that you need to be extra cautious to avoid injury. I noticed that my calves and arches ached during that run, making stride turnover a little slower than had I been running on payment. Also, I found myself looking down at the ground directly in front me to be sure I wasn’t going to step into a hole or other soft spot in the sand. I know I didn’t run my same pace, but I didn’t wear my watch as I was intent on simply getting out there and running. I had to stop and walk a few times on the beach because my muscles were tired, but as I walked I saw some amazing sites. I saw a pelican dive bomb into the water and come back up with its breakfast – a trembling, silver fish that obviously had no idea it was about to be snatched from the water. I saw a flock of tiny birds scurry away from the shore as the waves threatened to drown them. I saw couples; hand in hand, taking in the morning sunrise and recharging relationships that daily life often drains. I saw the beach come alive as the sun rose over the Gulf of Mexico. That run is one of the reasons I run – for the experiences along the way. Today I ran even longer and I think I completed more than seven miles – incredibly awesome! As Tropical Storm Alberto heads this way, I want to take advantage of every opportunity to get out there and run, run, run!!

After my shower and breakfast this morning – I thought about last summer, my first summer of running. I went to the Lake of the Ozarks on vacation last year and tried to run while I was there. The hills were tremendously difficult and I ended up walking my runs, instead of running. I was pretty frustrated because I couldn’t follow the plan in the Abe’s Army log book. I did a lot of walking during that trip because I figured any time on my feet was worthwhile. And it worked - I was able to successfully finish Abe's Amble - the longest distance I had ever run. I’ve come a long way since then. Last year, I was worried that I wouldn’t get my workouts in. This year, it seems like I’m planning my runs before I even plan what I’m doing each day. It’s because my runs now center and calm me – they allow me to take in experiences that otherwise I might miss along the way.

I’m on my balcony tonight with a glass of wine in my hand while I watch the sun set. I think about that shifting sand and how difficult it was to maintain firm footing. While it’s challenging and exciting to go outside of our comfort zone and run on the beach, it’s crucial that we remember the places where we know we can get a firm footing. Life’s a lot like this experience, I’m finding. Too often we ignore what is stable in our lives looking for excitement and that change of scenery that makes our daily lives look bland. But those experiences afford us the opportunity to only look directly in front of us instead of taking into account the rest of our environment As the sand shifts under our feet, we are constantly reminded of how much we need to be on stable ground. Don’t get me wrong. Running on the sand challenges me, works muscles I thought didn’t need worked, and gives me a feeling like no other feeling. It also allows me to focus on the experiences of running without worrying about my time, pace, or even distance. Each experience we have as runners builds within us the desire to continually test our limitations and strengthens who we are as individuals. And of course, the romance of running on the beach is awe-inspiring; it is just not something we can do everyday. This is vacation, and while running on the beach is pretty cool, there aren’t a whole lot of beach areas to run on in central Illinois. I’ll keep running on the beach for the next week or so, but I know in order to get in a good workout, I need to put on my Mizunos and head out to the boardwalk. And when the snow flies in central Illinois, I can think back on this trip and say to myself, “Wow! This is only temporary – I know what I’ll be doing in the summer!” Regardless of where you go this summer—to the mountains, the beach, the trails—you can lace up your shoes and step onto paths you never even dreamed you could conquer. You’ll find yourself seeking out those experiences because it is these experiences that get you through the tough times – the days in which you lose your motivation or you face temporary setbacks with injury or illness. Instead of just focusing on a particular finishing time in one particular race, you can say to yourself, “These are the experiences I want for the rest of my life, not just leading up to Abe’s Amble.”

So don’t give up – no matter how difficult the training gets to be. Remember why you run in the first place. Remember the awesome experiences you have and the ones yet to come that you haven’t even
imagined yet. Don’t let one bad day determine whether you stick with it or quit. This is a lesson I am continuing to learn each time I lace up my own shoes, but I know each experience==good or bad--shapes the runner I am becoming.

“Your past forms you, whether you like it or not. Each encounter and experience has its own effect, and you’re shaped the way the wind shapes a mequite tree on the plain.” Lance Armstrong

You’re In The Army Now!
Mary L. Rogers (Oh, By the Way – I am a former Marine!! – Army Boot Camp is a piece of cake!)

1 comment:

Anne B said...

Great post, Mary. Like Mary F said, I felt like I was running right along with you. I always look forward to your literary masterpieces!