Saturday, June 07, 2008

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I found this on a small metal wall hanging at Target tonight - it's hanging by my front door. No matter where we are in our journey as privates, corporals, or sergeants, we find there no secrets to getting stronger or faster. We all have to patiently take it one step at a time. A toddler taking his or her first steps cannot run until he can walk confidently - running is much like this. Progress in running comes in baby steps. Sometimes we stumble or it would seem we aren't getting any stronger - but the fact that you continue to stick to your plan is proof that you indeed are well on your way to your first or faster 10K. Not every time out will be a "good run" - but we learn from each step we take, and from the steps we take together.

I actually bought this sign because last year my goal was to log 1,000 miles in my training log. It was my way of proving to myself how far I've come myself from Abe's recruit to where I am today - and in fact where most of us as sergeants started.

Mary Rogers

3 comments:

Barry House said...

For a lot of us, Mary included, it's a journey that never ends. Or, as yet another Chinese proverb states, "The journey is the reward."

You can start with a single step toward the simple goal of running Abe's Amble and eventually find yourself running marathons and competing in triathlons. Right, Mary?

The journey IS the reward. Good health is nice, too! And all the members of Abe's Army have taken that first step.

Anonymous said...

You're right Barry - where we are going is not as important as how we get there - good health and finding great friends along they way is its own reward as well. Remember - each of us experiences a different journey - but finding our strength together is what Abe's Army is all about.

See all you on Tuesday!

Mary

Chazter said...

Great post Mary.