Saturday, July 08, 2006

Way To Go Ladies!!!

WooooHooooo! I saw lots of new Abe's Army recruits (and lots of leaders, too!) out there at the park for the Women's Distance Festival 2 mile race at Washington Park this morning. If this was your first race - let us know how it went for you. Are you hooked?!

For me, this was a great way to end my first year of running - my daughter and I ran together the whole way, and even though I wanted to cross the finish line with her - she had other plans and TOOK OFF LIKE A ROCKET with just a little bit left to go. I had to kick it into high gear just to pass three other people so I could come in right after her. She beat me by 6 seconds. There was no way she was going to let her old mom beat her!! I wonder where she gets that competitive spirit....

Last year I knew only a few people and was pretty intimidated by the "real" runners out there. Today I looked around and saw that we're all "real" runners and part of this really cool family. I've met so many interesting runners over the last year and they are the reason I still lace up my shoes. Sure, running on my own is calming, but exciting events like this in the fellowship of all of you motivate me to overcome whatever obstacles might threaten to hold me back.

What an amazing event - from the guys in costume (love those grass skirts and tuxes!), the music, the warm up routines, the perfect weather, and even the soap, lotion, candles, and flowers in the bathroom - you won't find a better women's race than this! But more importantly, you won't find another group of people who are s0 supportive of women, regardless of how fast or not-so-fast you might be. What mattered today was showing up, lacing up those shoes, and taking that first step over the start line. The smiles, hugs, high-fives, and laughter at the finish (not to mention those really cool slushies) are the reason these events get bigger and bigger each year. Rock on, ladies - this is just a taste of the thrill you'll get after completing Abe's Amble - are you ready for it???

6 comments:

Mary L. Rogers said...

Hey - here's an email I got from one of my own recruits! This is super exciting!

"I did it! I ran two miles without walking! I never thought I would be logging athletic firsts for myself at the age of 49! It started with a neighbor and her teenage son dragging myself and my teen age sons to Abe's Army. The first Tuesday evening I announced, "I hate running!" However working with the patient leaders and running with other people has made it more fun than I imagined. Lincoln Park, Center Park, and Washington Park are all beautiful settings to run and enjoy the outdoors. Last but not least, my eighteen year old son has taken pride in coaching me. He persuaded me to run about a mile before the actual run then stretch out. It worked well for me at the Women's Distance Festival in Washington Park. Thanks to all the dedicated people that encourage everyone to get out and walk or run! Hopefully we will all proudly complete the Abe's Amble in August and continue to log firsts after that!

Cindy L."

Way to go Cindy - you rock!

Anonymous said...

This is also my first season of running and I am very thankful for Abe's Army. Six weeks ago I could not even run around the block and now I'm logging 4 miles. The race today was great and the atmosphere was absolutely fabulous!! The whole thing was very well organized and it was more than a race---it was an event! Thanks for all the hard work!!

Mary L. Rogers said...

Great job, Susan! Congratulations on all you've accomplished in such a short time!

Pamela said...

Mary - Maybe it was Brittany's new shoes that made her sprint to the end! lol. You two did awesome out there. Everyone seemed to be very happy with how they ran.

This was a fun run. With all the guys dressed up. Made me
laugh :).

We doing hills on Thursday? 5:30?

Anonymous said...

I was pretty darn happy crossing that finish line on Saturday a.m. I had an amazing support system flanking me the whole race and I was seriously moved by the whole experience.

Thanks!

Tim said...

Great job to Jan and Kris and everyone else you helped to put on the WDF. This is always a great race, but Saturday was absolutely the BEST atmosphere I have ever seen out there. The guys dressed up, the Buffett music, everything involved with the race was awesome!