Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Washington Park Thursdays

All runners are invited to tackle the hills at Washington Park tomorrow, Thursday 7-6-06. We'll meet at the playground pavilion at 5:30 p.m. This is a great way to get used to running hills (good training for the Abe's Amble course) and to get ready for the Women's Distance Festival 2 mile run this Saturday.

Ladies - if you haven't registered, just show up that morning and register on-site. This is a fun, first run for new runners (women only, sorry guys - but come out and show your support). For more information, check out the Springfield Road Runners Club website at www.srrc.net.

This race marks the end of my rookie year as a runner. The WDF was my first race as a runner and I have to tell you, when I crossed that finish line I was hooked!

Since our training log calls for five miles as the long run this weekend, feel free to join the many runners afterwards who will run MORE after the race is completed and get the other three miles in. What else are you doing this Saturday? Hmmm???? This race supports the local Girls on the Run program. For more details, visit their website at http://girlsontherun.org/. Several runners in SRRC volunteer for this worthwhile program and I know there will be a booth you can visit at the race to find out more on how this organization benefits girls in the Springfield area.

See you at the park!

Mary Rogers

6 comments:

Anne B said...

Happy Anniversary, Mary!

Chazter said...

I'll be there this Saturday to help you celebrate your 1 year anniversary. Awesome!

Mary L. Rogers said...

Thanks, guys! I tell you - I've learned SO much over the last year, that I cannot imagine what I did before I found out
Springfield's best little secret - Abe's Army and the entire SRRC bunch - how cool tonight to be running those hills - knowing that it was absolutely killing me, but that we all got through it together - even penguins like me.

See you Saturday - Saturday's race is all about running with my daughter - I want to cross the finish line with her so she can experience why her mom is so excited about all of this! Last year she beat me by three minutes - not going to happen this time around.

I was telling Barry tonight - that we've ALL come such a long way, regardless of where we WERE, we're so much further ahead now, not only in our physical ability to peel off the miles, but the mental ability to realize - it doesn't matter when you're in the company of your friends.

See ya guys!

Mary F. said...

Happy anniversary! So much happens in a year, it's so easy to get hooked. It's hard to understand because while you're running, it doesn't feel like it gets easier. But it's the feeling after you run and looking back on what you have accomplished and the great group of people that you meet along the way.
I will be rooting for you and your daughter tomorrow. How cool to be running together!!

Emily K said...

When you receive and return the love and support from the SRRC runners, how can you NOT get hooked? :)

Happy 1st Mary!

Mary L. Rogers said...

Hey it's not all about me - it's about all of us! Each and every one of us has milestones to celebrate in one way or another - dont' we? Whether it's one week or one year - it's all good!

Good luck to all the women out there tomorrow who put their best foot forward - right on the starting line - the rest is easy! And thanks to those who go out of their way to volunteer to make it all run so smoothly. Even you crazy men in grass skirts and togas!

The power of the group is amazing, isn't it.